Mission House

Mission House

Type:
Conservation & Adaptive Reuse
Location:
George Town, Penang
Status:
Completed

A long overdue rescue, restoration and adaptive re-use of a very important building in George Town World Heritage Site. The earliest Protestant Church Building in Penang, built between 1876 and 1878. Mission House, premises of the Brethren Assembly represents the earliest ‘colonial style’ form, giving reference to the initial input from the principal colonial administrators. The house together with its neighbor, No.33, built by Khaw Joo Tok of the famed Khaw family of Ranong, South Thailand, was abandoned till 2013, suffering great ruin and dereliction. The restoration has made a substantial and lasting contribution to heritage conservation in George Town. Featured in ARCHITECTURE MALAYSIA Sept 2014

Mission House No 35 Farquhar Street and neighbouring N33 in 2011 after more than half a century of abandonment
Mission House Details 1
Image of what used to be a dining hall at the Mission House (before and after)
The porch verandah and external staircase in 2012
The severe state of dereliction at the Mission House before commencement of restoration works in 2013
Exterior of Mission House
The upper floor verandah space restored with timber
Main upper floor exhibition which was once the living room of the Mission House
Memory pieces on the right side of the ground floor hall are consciously left intact on site
×